This job posting is no longer active.
Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital is licensed for 382 beds and has been nationally recognized by Leapfrog’s Hospital Safety Grade A. It receives international acclaim for its outstanding and dynamic kidney, liver and pancreas transplant programs, setting record numbers for volume and outcomes. Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital is home to the Texas Transplant Institute, a nationally recognized center that recently performed the world’s first 16-way kidney donor exchange chain during three consecutive days at a single hospital.
Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital earned designation as a Center of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Excellence from the American Society for Bariatric Surgery in 2008. Our Sexual Assault Response Team provides a compassionate environment for sexual assault survivors ages 13 and up. This program serves as a model for hospitals and agencies all over the world. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com
and select Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital under Locations.
We offer you a generous benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Disability and Life Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Paid Time Off
Employee Discount Program
Employee Stock Purchase Program
Student Loan Repayment
General Statement of Duties:
Under the direction of the licensed anesthetist and the RN, the Anesthesia Technician provides anesthesia support to the licensed anesthetist during surgical procedures. The Anesthesia Technician anticipates the needs of the licensed anesthetist through preparation and maintenance of supplies, patient monitoring equipment and anesthesia delivery systems. This includes anticipating anesthesia needs, maintaining stock levels, setting up supplies and equipment, cleaning and storage of equipment, equipment operation, basic troubleshooting and ensuring equipment operation and maintenance. The Anesthesia Technician is an integral member of the perioperative team and he/she works in a collaborative role with the circulating RN and the perioperative team to ensure a safe and optimal patient perioperative experience.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Anticipates the needs of the licensed anesthetist for regional, epidural and spinal blocks and the induction of general anesthesia through the application of technical knowledge and competence in set-up, operation and troubleshooting of anesthesia delivery systems, monitors and ancillary devices to include the laryngoscope, intubation equipment and IV solution and tubing set-up.
2. Consistently uses aseptic technique, and correctly sets up and prepares needed supplies and equipment for invasive line monitoring. Assists the anesthetist in the preparation and draping for invasive line placement and monitoring.
3. Maintains designated par levels of anesthesia supplies and ensures carts are stocked with immediate use items used for operative procedures. Participates in evaluating new equipment/supplies that pertains to the anesthesia service.
4. Ensures utilized equipment is appropriately cleaned, stored and in proper working order prior to use; performs basic equipment troubleshooting as necessary. Submits work orders in a timely manner for needed maintenance/repairs. Properly cleans and stores equipment after use. Schedules preventative maintenance as required and follows up on completion.
5. Consistently cleans, disinfects, sterilizes and ensures availability of utilized anesthesia equipment according to AORN standards and practices.
6. Works in collaboration with the circulating RN and assists with the placement of non-invasive monitoring devices (blood pressure cuff, EKG leads and pulse oximeter probe), patient transport and positioning, as directed.
Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics:
High school graduate or equivalent
2. Experience: none
3. Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service
line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population
served (if applicable).
4. Preferred: prior anesthesia technician experience in a hospital setting
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required: None
Environmental and Physical Demands/Hazardous Conditions:
( X) INSIDE: Spends approximately 40__ hours or more per week inside.
( ) OUTSIDE: Spend approximately __ hours per week outside (driving/running work related errands).
( ) BOTH: The activities occur inside and outside in approximately equal amounts.
WORK POSITIONS: (defined in 5% increments of work time):
Sitting 15 % + Standing 15 % + Walking 70 % = 100%
LIFTING/CARRYING DEMANDS: Ability to lift, push and pull with assistance (mechanical or co-worker) the weight of an average patient/heaviest object specific to the department.
( ) SEDENTARY WORK: Lifting 10 lbs. maximum and occasional lifting and/or carrying articles.
( ) LIGHT WORK: Lifting 20 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying articles weighing up to 10 lbs.
( X ) MEDIUM WORK: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
( ) HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
( ) VERY HEAVY WORK: Lifting objects in excess of 100 lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing more than 50 lbs.