This job posting is no longer active.
Do you want to join an organization that invests in you as a(an) Certified Surgical Technician PRN? At Methodist Hospital Atascosa, you come first. HCA Healthcare has committed up to $300 million in programs to support our incredible team members over the course of three years.
Methodist Hospital Atascosa, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
- Comprehensive medical coverage that covers many common services at no cost or for a low copay. Plans include prescription drug and behavioral health coverage as well as telemedicine services and free AirMed medical transportation.
- Additional options for dental and vision benefits, life and disability coverage, flexible spending accounts, supplemental health protection plans (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity), auto and home insurance, identity theft protection, legal counseling, long-term care coverage, moving assistance, pet insurance and more.
- Fertility and family building benefits through Progyny
- Free counseling services and resources for emotional, physical and financial wellbeing
- Family support, including adoption assistance, child and elder care resources and consumer discounts
- 401(k) Plan with a 100% match on 3% to 9% of pay (based on years of service)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Retirement readiness and rollover services and preferred banking partnerships
- Education assistance (tuition, student loan, certification support, dependent scholarships)
- Colleague recognition program
- Time Away From Work Program (paid time off, paid family leave, long- and short-term disability coverage and leaves of absence)
Learn more about Employee Benefits
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
You contribute to our success. Every role has an impact on our patients’ lives and you have the opportunity to make a difference. We are looking for a dedicated Certified Surgical Technician PRN like you to be a part of our team.
Job Summary and Qualifications
As a Surgical Technologist you are responsible for assisting with the delivery of quality surgical care. You will be responsible for coordinating with the circulating perioperative nurse during surgical procedures. You are responsible for all major surgical specialty areas; including gathering and preparing sterile supplies, equipment, preparing/maintaining the sterile field. You will assist the surgeon by supplying sterile instruments/supplies to the sterile field in a safe and efficient manner. You will follow current AORN and regulatory standards and established policies and procedures of the System.
What you will do in this role:
- You will plan for and obtain the equipment and supplies needed for assigned procedures according to physicians' preference and specific patient needs.
- You will prepare equipment and supplies according to manufacturer's recommendations and specifications for uses during surgical procedures.
- You will open sterile packs, instruments and supplies for each procedure according to established aseptic techniques and protocols.
- You will monitor sterile field during procedure and takes appropriate measures to insure integrity.
- You must initiate corrective action for any break in technique.
- You will prepare medications and solutions for use during procedures under the direction of the Registered Nurse, according to physician’s orders.
- You will maintain accountability for instruments, sponges and sharps, according to hospital policy throughout the surgical procedure to ensure that no foreign objects are retained in the surgical wound.
- You will take appropriate action if item count is not correct and will inform the appropriate staff.
- You will consistently follow safety procedures and protocols for Timeout when handling sharp instruments, powered equipment, hazardous chemicals and lasers.
What qualifications you will need:
- You must have a High school graduate or equivalent
- You must have a graduated of a surgical technologist program OR hires prior to 9/1/2009 may substitute with 1-year experience in a hospital setting as a surgical technologist
- If you are NON-CERTIFIED: No license, certificate or registration required for the Sterile Processing Department
- All other departments no license, certificate or registration required if they meet the below provision: Per Texas HB 643, surgical technologists entering practice after 09/01/2009 must have and maintain a surgical technologist certification.
- Individuals that performed in a surgical technologist position prior to 09/01/2009 are not required to obtain a surgical technologist certification.
- If you are CERTIFIED: You must have and maintain ONE of the following:
- CST – Certified Surgical Technologist through the National Board for Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) (formally the Liaison Council on Certification for the Surgical Technologist) OR
- TS-C- Tech in Surgery, Certified through the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
This role requires you to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 based on local, state and /or federal law or regulations (unless a medical or religious exemption is approved).
Methodist Hospital Atascosa became part of the Methodist Healthcare System family in July 2017. With over 60 beds, the hospital serves over 5 counties and is comprised of healthcare professionals with years of training and experience who bring compassion and excellence to their work.
Methodist Hospital Atascosa has been nationally recognized as a Five-Star rated facility by the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services and by its grade A Leapfrog Hospital Safety score. The hospital is also a recipient of the Excellence in Patient Safety Across the Board Award and is designated as a Level IV trauma center and Ambulatory Services Sleep Center. Beyond offering Methodist-quality emergency care, our comprehensive services have expanded into orthopedics, cardiology, sports medicine and urology, and will continue to grow as the area’s needs increase. For more information, please visit our website at
"Good people beget good people."- Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.
HCA Healthcare Co-Founder
We are a family 270,000 dedicated professionals! Our Talent Acquisition team is reviewing applications for our Certified Surgical Technician PRN opening. Qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. Submit your resume today to join our community of caring!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.