Are you looking for a work environment where diversity and inclusion thrive? Submit your application for our Pharmacy Technician Specialist opening with Methodist Hospital Landmark today and find out what it truly means to be a part of the Methodist Healthcare team.
Methodist Hospital Landmark, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
- Comprehensive medical coverage that covers many common services at no cost or for a low copay. Plans include prescription drug and behavioral health coverage as well as free telemedicine services and free AirMed medical transportation.
- Additional options for dental and vision benefits, life and disability coverage, flexible spending accounts, supplemental health protection plans (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity), auto and home insurance, identity theft protection, legal counseling, long-term care coverage, moving assistance, pet insurance and more.
- Free counseling services and resources for emotional, physical and financial wellbeing
- 401(k) Plan with a 100% match on 3% to 9% of pay (based on years of service)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan with 10% off HCA Healthcare stock
- Family support through fertility and family building benefits with Progyny and adoption assistance.
- Referral services for child, elder and pet care, home and auto repair, event planning and more
- Consumer discounts through Abenity and Consumer Discounts
- Retirement readiness, rollover assistance services and preferred banking partnerships
- Education assistance (tuition, student loan, certification support, dependent scholarships)
- Colleague recognition program
- Time Away From Work Program (paid time off, paid family leave, long- and short-term disability coverage and leaves of absence)
- Employee Health Assistance Fund that offers free employee-only coverage to full-time and part-time colleagues based on income.
Learn more about Employee Benefits
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
We are seeking a(an) Pharmacy Technician Specialist for our team to ensure that we continue to provide all patients with high quality, efficient care. Did you get into our industry for these reasons? We are an amazing team that works hard to support each other and are seeking a phenomenal addition like you who feels patient care is as meaningful as we do. We want you to apply!
Job Summary and Qualifications
As a Pharmacy Technician Specialist you will be responsible for accurately performing advanced and basic pharmacy technician functions in a timely manner. Your duties are performed under the direct supervision of a pharmacist and according to professional standards and practices. As a Pharmacy Technician Specialist you may demonstrate skill in sterile compounding preparation and hazardous drugs preparation (chemo certification training). In addition, you will be responsible for performing duties associated with Automated Dispensing Cabinets, other specialized duties and/or leadership roles as assigned by the pharmacy management team.
What you will do in this role:
- As a Pharmacy Technician Specialist, you will act as a facility Automated Dispensing Cabinet (ADC) Super User/Trainer. You will assist in education of new pharmacy ADC users and serve as a resource to both pharmacy and nursing staff for problems and/or questions. You will perform daily ADC routines as assigned (i.e. restocks, outdates, discrepancy resolution, loading and unloading, etc.) and provide oversight of these activities for appropriate inventory management. You will manage the ADC’s formulary for new medications and communicate with individual ADC users when errors are made and re-educate as to correct procedures.
- You will work with purchaser and Director of Pharmacy to perform CII safe expiration audits, compare report audits and daily reports review including compounding reconciliation. You will investigate discrepancies to determine if true discrepancy and complete incident reports as required. You will review RX Auditor report and generate investigation reports for nurse managers/directors to review. You will perform accurate audits of narcotic overrides, anesthesia documentation, etc. as assigned.
- You will work with Inventory Manager, IV room and utilizes EXP reports to reduce expirations and waste in the ADC and central pharmacy. You will identify, analyze and evaluate data from a variety of sources as assigned. You will perform the role of inventory manager/buyer when that person is not available or as assigned. You will assist with narcotic ordering and maintains inventory as assigned.
- You will provide direction and training to other technicians as assigned. You will assist in the supervision of other technicians to ensure that policies and procedures and regulatory requirements are uniformly and consistently followed. You will perform Technician scheduling as assigned. You will perform and supervise other technicians for administrative billing functions as assigned.
- You will identify critical issues, prioritize workload and communicate to appropriate personnel any issues in a timely manner. You will interact in person and by phone with hospital personnel politely and appropriately. You will perform and monitor compliance for quality control and performance improvement functions as assigned. You will accurately perform and document monthly medication storage area inspections as assigned.
- You will perform all duties required of basic technicians as required including filling of medication orders, safe compounding and labeling of parenteral admixtures including hazardous medications if competent. You will be in compliant with all facility policies and procedures and regulatory requirements.
What qualifications you will need:
- High School diploma or equivalent education
- Completion of a course sponsored by an ACPE provider which provides 40 hours of instruction and experience and meets Texas Board of Pharmacy requirements to compound sterile products. Training may be obtained through completion of a recognized course in an accredited College of Pharmacy or a course sponsored by an ACPE accredited provider.
- Minimum 2 years of hospital experience required
- Minimum 1 year sterile compounding experience preferred
- Supervisor experience preferred
- Current Registered Pharmacy Technician by Texas State Board of Pharmacy or Intern Certification with the Texas Board of Pharmacy
This role requires you to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 based on local, state and /or federal law or regulations (unless a medical or religious exemption is approved).
Methodist Hospital | Landmark is Methodist Healthcare’s newest hospital located conveniently close to the I-10/Loop 1604 corridor, near UTSA, The Shops at La Cantera, and The Rim. The 54-bed hospital will specialize in surgical services with highly skilled physicians performing advanced procedures in bariatrics, breast reconstruction, gynecology, urology, colorectal and general surgery.
Staff selected to work in this beautiful, state-of-the-art facility will work in an environment that was truly created with the patient in mind. The thoughtful design of the hospital helps promote healing, with its modern look and use of open spaces. Methodist Hospital | Landmark provides a perfect backdrop for the delivery of the quality care Methodist is known for in our community.
"Across HCA Healthcare’s more than 2,000 sites of care, our nurses and colleagues have a positive impact on patients, communities and healthcare.
Together, we uplift and elevate our purpose to give people a healthier tomorrow."- Jane Englebright, PhD, RN CENP, FAAN
Senior Vice President and Chief Nursing Executive
If you find this opportunity compelling, we encourage you to apply for our Pharmacy Technician Specialist opening. We promptly review all applications. Highly qualified candidates will be directly contacted by a member of our team. We are interviewing apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.