Do you have the career opportunities as a(an) Surgical First Assistant you want with your current employer? We have an exciting opportunity for you to join Methodist Hospital which is part of the nation's leading provider of healthcare services, HCA Healthcare.
Methodist Hospital, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
- Comprehensive medical coverage that covers many common services at no cost or for a low copay. Plans include prescription drug and behavioral health coverage as well as free telemedicine services and free AirMed medical transportation.
- Additional options for dental and vision benefits, life and disability coverage, flexible spending accounts, supplemental health protection plans (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity), auto and home insurance, identity theft protection, legal counseling, long-term care coverage, moving assistance, pet insurance and more.
- Free counseling services and resources for emotional, physical and financial wellbeing
- 401(k) Plan with a 100% match on 3% to 9% of pay (based on years of service)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan with 10% off HCA Healthcare stock
- Family support through fertility and family building benefits with Progyny and adoption assistance.
- Referral services for child, elder and pet care, home and auto repair, event planning and more
- Consumer discounts through Abenity and Consumer Discounts
- Retirement readiness, rollover assistance services and preferred banking partnerships
- Education assistance (tuition, student loan, certification support, dependent scholarships)
- Colleague recognition program
- Time Away From Work Program (paid time off, paid family leave, long- and short-term disability coverage and leaves of absence)
- Employee Health Assistance Fund that offers free employee-only coverage to full-time and part-time colleagues based on income.
Learn more about Employee Benefits
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
Our teams are a committed, caring group of colleagues. Do you want to work as a(an) Surgical First Assistant where your passion for creating positive patient interactions are valued? If you are dedicated to caring for the well-being of others, this could be your next opportunity. We want your knowledge and expertise!
Job Summary and Qualifications
The Surgical First Assistant works as a member of the perioperative team under the direction of the surgeon. He/she performs responsibilities of both the Surgical Technologist and the Surgical First Assistant based on department needs and as directed by the unit director or designee. The Surgical First Assistant practices within the scope of the job description and performs clinical and technical skills under surgeon supervision to assist with carrying out a safe operation with optimal patient results. This is done in collaboration with the circulating RN and other perioperative/OB team members. The Surgical First Assistant is educated and skilled in both the use of surgical instruments on tissues and the handling of instruments; however, the surgical first assistant does not concurrently function as the scrub nurse.
What you will do in this role:
- Functions as a surgical first assistant at the direction of and under the appropriate supervision of the attending surgeon; always practices within the limitations of preparation and experience and within the scope allowed by the hospital.
- Consistently functions at the direction of and under direct supervision (physical presence of the attending surgeon in the procedure/treatment room) of the attending surgeon. The surgical assistant scope includes:
- Providing visualization of the operative site through appropriate placement and securing of retractors with or without padding, packing or sponges; digital manipulation of tissue; suctioning, irrigation or sponging; manipulation of suture materials; proper use of body mechanics to prevent obstruction of the surgeon’s view.
- Utilizing appropriate permanent and temporary techniques to assist with hemostasis. Permanent hemostasis techniques include clamping and/or cauterizing vessels and tissue, tying and/or ligating clamped vessels or tissue, applying hemostatic clips, or placing hemostatic agents. Temporary hemostasis techniques include applying tourniquets and demonstrating awareness of the indications/contraindications for use with knowledge of side effects of extended use; applying vessel loops, non-crushing clamps, or direct digital pressure.
- Administering post-operative subcutaneous local anesthetic injection
- Utilizing running or interrupted sutures with absorbable or non-absorbable material of wound layers, including muscle and fascia.
- Assisting with placement of implants
- Robotic procedures only: Insertion of subsequent (not initial) trocars. Must have documented training and competency validated (initially within by MHS Medical staff member privileged to perform robotic surgery. The documentation must include directly supervised trocar insertions on a minimum of 5 patients completed within a 12 month period with good patient outcomes
- Under direct or general perioperative supervision (surgeon/proceduralist presence in the perioperative area (pre-op department, perioperative suite, PACU, OR/procedure waiting room) and is immediately available), the surgical assistant scope includes closure of body planes and applies wound dressings per the method indicated by the attending physician:
- i. Utilizing sub-cuticular closure technique with or without adhesive skin closure strips
- ii. Skin closure with suture, staples and/or spray occlusive material/skin adhesive strips
- iii. Securing drainage systems to tissue
- iv. Application of immobilizing dressin
What qualifications you will need:
- Education: Must have completed ALL of the following:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Successful completion of an accredited surgical first assistant training program.
- Meets ONE of the following
- Graduate/completion of CAAHEP Surgical First Assistant, Surgical Assistant Program, Medical School Graduate OR an allied health professional with 2250 hours of surgical rotation
- Practiced as a surgical technologist prior to 9/1/2009
- Experience: New hires as of 3/29/2011- 2 years experience in the perioperative setting within the last 4 years in either a surgical technologist or surgical first assistant role.
- Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population served (if applicable).
- Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required:
- Must have and maintain ONE of the following:
- A. Surgical Technologist Certification
- i. CST – Certified Surgical Technologist through the National Board for Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) (formally the Liaison Council on Certification for the Surgical Technologist)
- OR ii. TS-C- Tech in Surgery, Certified through the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- B. Surgical First Assistant certification
- i. SA-C – Surgical Assistant, Certified through the American Board of Surgical Assistants (ABSA)
- ii. CSA – Certified Surgical Assistant through the National Surgical Assistant Association (NSAA)
- iii. CSFA (formally CFA) – Certified Surgical First Assistant through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA)
- C. LSA- Licensed Surgical Assistant through the Texas Medical Board
- Basic Cardiac Life Support must be obtained within 30 days of employment start date
This role requires you to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 based on local, state and /or federal law or regulations (unless a medical or religious exemption is approved).
Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the now internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. With over 900 beds, Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, oncology, bone marrow transplants, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics. We are proud to be the largest provider of the lifesaving ECMO Program in San Antonio, are home to the largest robotics program in the world, and our Adult Blood Cancer and Stem Cell Transplant unit has become the first program to receive FACT Accreditation in North America.
As the flagship hospital, and most comprehensive medical care facility of Methodist Healthcare, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the community. We’ve recently been named the No.1 Best Regional Hospital by the U.S. News and World Report for 2019-20. We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality of care possible for our patients, which is proven by our consecutive Grade A Leapfrog Hospital Safety scores. In addition, Methodist Hospital not only received a Primary Stroke Center designation from The Joint Commission, but has also received a Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification from DNV GL Healthcare, designating the facility as offering the most advanced stroke treatment available in a given geographic area. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Hospital under Locations.
HCA Healthcare has been recognized as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® by the Ethisphere Institute more than ten times. In recent years, HCA Healthcare spent an estimated $3.7 billion in cost for the delivery of charitable care, uninsured discounts, and other uncompensated expenses.
"Bricks and mortar do not make a hospital. People do."- Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.
HCA Healthcare Co-Founder
If you are looking for an opportunity that provides satisfaction and personal growth, we encourage you to apply for our Surgical First Assistant opening. We promptly review all applications. Highly qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. Unlock the possibilities and apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.