Last year our HCA Healthcare colleagues invested over 156,000 hours volunteering in our communities. As a(an) Certified Surgical Technologist with Methodist Hospital Metropolitan you can be a part of an organization that is devoted to giving back!
Methodist Hospital Metropolitan, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
- Comprehensive medical coverage that covers many common services at no cost or for a low copay. Plans include prescription drug and behavioral health coverage as well as free telemedicine services and free AirMed medical transportation.
- Additional options for dental and vision benefits, life and disability coverage, flexible spending accounts, supplemental health protection plans (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity), auto and home insurance, identity theft protection, legal counseling, long-term care coverage, moving assistance, pet insurance and more.
- Free counseling services and resources for emotional, physical and financial wellbeing
- 401(k) Plan with a 100% match on 3% to 9% of pay (based on years of service)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan with 10% off HCA Healthcare stock
- Family support through fertility and family building benefits with Progyny and adoption assistance.
- Referral services for child, elder and pet care, home and auto repair, event planning and more
- Consumer discounts through Abenity and Consumer Discounts
- Retirement readiness, rollover assistance services and preferred banking partnerships
- Education assistance (tuition, student loan, certification support, dependent scholarships)
- Colleague recognition program
- Time Away From Work Program (paid time off, paid family leave, long- and short-term disability coverage and leaves of absence)
- Employee Health Assistance Fund that offers free employee-only coverage to full-time and part-time colleagues based on income.
Learn more about Employee Benefits
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
Would you like to unlock your potential with a leading healthcare provider dedicated to the growth and development of our colleagues? Join the Methodist Hospital Metropolitan family! We will give you the tools and resources you need to succeed in our organization. We are looking for an enthusiastic Certified Surgical Technologist to help us reach our goals. Unlock your potential!
Job Summary and Qualifications
As a Surgical Technologist you are responsible for assisting with the delivery of quality surgical care. You will be responsible for coordinating with the circulating perioperative nurse during surgical procedures. You are responsible for all major surgical specialty areas; including gathering and preparing sterile supplies, equipment, preparing/maintaining the sterile field. You will assist the surgeon by supplying sterile instruments/supplies to the sterile field in a safe and efficient manner. You will follow current AORN and regulatory standards and established policies and procedures of the System.
What you will do In This Role:
- You will plan for and obtain the equipment and supplies needed for assigned procedures according to physicians' preference and specific patient needs.
- You will prepare equipment and supplies according to manufacturer's recommendations and specifications for uses during surgical procedures.
- You will open sterile packs, instruments and supplies for each procedure according to established aseptic techniques and protocols.
- You will monitor sterile field during procedure and takes appropriate measures to insure integrity.
- You must initiate corrective action for any break in technique.
- You will prepare medications and solutions for use during procedures under the direction of the Registered Nurse, according to physician’s orders.
- You will maintain accountability for instruments, sponges and sharps, according to hospital policy throughout the surgical procedure to ensure that no foreign objects are retained in the surgical wound.
- You will take appropriate action if item count is not correct and will inform the appropriate staff.
- You will consistently follow safety procedures and protocols for Timeout when handling sharp instruments, powered equipment, hazardous chemicals and lasers.
What Qualifications You Will Need:
- You must have a High school graduate or equivalent
- You must have a graduated of a surgical technologist program OR hires prior to 9/1/2009 may substitute with 1-year experience in a hospital setting as a surgical technologist
- If you are NON-CERTIFIED: No license, certificate or registration required for the Sterile Processing Department
- All other departments no license, certificate or registration required if they meet the below provision: Per Texas HB 643, surgical technologists entering practice after 09/01/2009 must have and maintain a surgical technologist certification. Individuals that performed in a surgical technologist position prior to 09/01/2009 are not required to obtain a surgical technologist certification.
- If you are CERTIFIED: You must have and maintain ONE of the following:
- CST – Certified Surgical Technologist through the National Board for Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) (formally the Liaison Council on Certification for the Surgical Technologist) OR
- TS-C- Tech in Surgery, Certified through the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
This role requires you to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 based on local, state and /or federal law or regulations (unless a medical or religious exemption is approved).
Methodist Hospital Metropolitan houses 370 bed. We house the largest emergency room in downtown San Antonio. Our women’s pavilion is the only freestanding, center city facility dedicated to the health of women and their newborn babies. We welcome nearly 3,000 newborns into the world each year. We are home to the Methodist Weight Loss Center. We have been designated an American Society for Metabolic Surgery Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence®.
Our hospital has been recognized by Modern Healthcare as a Best Place to Work in Healthcare. For the fifth consecutive year we are recognized as a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation. We are the first hospital in San Antonio to achieve Pathway to Excellence designation. Methodist Hospital Metropolitan has been recognized by Leapfrog for focus on safety and quality. We received a Grade A Hospital Safety Score for 8 consecutive rating periods. We are proud to be an Accredited Chest Pain Center by the American College of Cardiology and Primary Stroke Center by the Joint Commission. We were the premier Texas hospital to earn a Gold Seal of Approval for Sepsis Certification. Join our accredited team today.
"There is so much good to do in the world and so many different ways to do it."- Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.
HCA Healthcare Co-Founder
Be a part of an organization that invests in you! We are reviewing applications for our Certified Surgical Technologist opening. Qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. Submit your application and help us raise the bar in patient care!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.