Do you have the career opportunities as a(an) Child Life Specialist you want with your current employer? We have an exciting opportunity for you to join Methodist Children's Hospital which is part of the nation's leading provider of healthcare services, Methodist Healthcare.
Methodist Children's Hospital, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
- Comprehensive medical coverage that covers many common services at no cost or for a low copay. Plans include prescription drug and behavioral health coverage as well as free telemedicine services and free AirMed medical transportation.
- Additional options for dental and vision benefits, life and disability coverage, flexible spending accounts, supplemental health protection plans (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity), auto and home insurance, identity theft protection, legal counseling, long-term care coverage, moving assistance, pet insurance and more.
- Free counseling services and resources for emotional, physical and financial wellbeing
- 401(k) Plan with a 100% match on 3% to 9% of pay (based on years of service)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan with 10% off HCA Healthcare stock
- Family support through fertility and family building benefits with Progyny and adoption assistance.
- Referral services for child, elder and pet care, home and auto repair, event planning and more
- Consumer discounts through Abenity and Consumer Discounts
- Retirement readiness, rollover assistance services and preferred banking partnerships
- Education assistance (tuition, student loan, certification support, dependent scholarships)
- Colleague recognition program
- Time Away From Work Program (paid time off, paid family leave, long- and short-term disability coverage and leaves of absence)
- Employee Health Assistance Fund that offers free employee-only coverage to full-time and part-time colleagues based on income.
Learn more about Employee Benefits
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
Our teams are a committed, caring group of colleagues. Do you want to work as a(an) Child Life Specialist where your passion for creating positive patient interactions are valued? If you are dedicated to caring for the well-being of others, this could be your next opportunity. We want your knowledge and expertise!
Job Summary and Qualifications
As a Child Life Specialist, you will plan and provide therapeutic activities and appropriate psychosocial/developmental care for pediatric and adolescent patients and families, to assist them in effectively coping with stress and anxiety of health care experiences, and in cooperation with other members of the health care team, integrate therapeutic intervention with overall care and treatment of patients.
What you will do in this role:
- As a Child Life Specialist you will assess patients and facilitate play interaction with regard to developmental level, interest, capabilities, life situations, special concerns and stress vulnerability potential related to illness, injury and health care. You will document assessments when appropriate.
- You will institute an individualize program of activities and/or behavioral strategies as needed for patients in consulting with nursing staff and other involved members of the health care team. You will participate in patient’s discharge planning as appropriate.
- You will provide play opportunities and other therapeutic intervention to promote understanding and prepare patients for health care experiences, to foster growth and development, and prevent adverse consequences of hospitalization.
- You will provide procedural, emotional and bereavement support to patients/families. You will assess need for outpatient psychosocial care and recommend referrals.
- You may be asked to manage a volunteer service program to support Child Life Program activities
- You will serve as a clinical resource to pediatric staff, parents, volunteers, students, and other hospital staff in areas where children are treated. You will provide interdisciplinary in-service education on child development, child life, and the impact of illness, injury and health care on patients and families.
What qualifications you will need:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Child Life, Child Development, Child and Family studies or related field.
- Master’s Degree in Child Life, Child Development, Child and Family studies or related field preferred.
- Completion of a Child Life internship from an accredited Child Life program.
- Minimum 2 years clinical experience as a Certified Child Life Specialist preferred.
- Must obtain Certification by the Child Life Council within 18 months of hire date.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) within 120 days of hire
Since opening in 1998 as the first and only hospital in San Antonio and South Texas designed and built just for children with over 200 beds, Methodist Children’s Hospital has set the standard for treating the children of South and Central Texas. The hospital has built a strong reputation for its outstanding pediatric services in many specialty areas including pediatric heart surgery, pulmonology, orthopedics, neurosurgery, newborn and pediatric intensive care, oncology and emergency services.
Our new tower is part of a landmark expansion that increased the footprint of the Methodist Hospital campus by 445,000 square feet. It includes 150 rooms and a dedicated children’s imaging department with new, state-of-the art technology. The Level IV NICU, the region’s largest with over 90 beds, has board-certified neonatologists in-house 24/7 to provide the highest level of neonatal care available. The hospital is among the nation’s top three providers of blood and marrow stem cell and cord blood transplants for children and is the largest BMT program in San Antonio. In addition, Methodist Children’s Hospital continues to be nationally recognized for the strongest quality record for patient safety. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Children’s Hospital under Locations.
"Bricks and mortar do not make a hospital. People do."- Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.
HCA Healthcare Co-Founder
If you are looking for an opportunity that provides satisfaction and personal growth, we encourage you to apply for our Child Life Specialist opening. We promptly review all applications. Highly qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. Unlock the possibilities and apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.