Do you have the career opportunities as a(an) Art Therapist you want with your current employer? We have an exciting opportunity for you to join Methodist Children's Hospital which is part of the nation's leading provider of healthcare services, Methodist Healthcare.
Methodist Children's Hospital, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
- Comprehensive medical coverage that covers many common services at no cost or for a low copay. Plans include prescription drug and behavioral health coverage as well as free telemedicine services and free AirMed medical transportation.
- Additional options for dental and vision benefits, life and disability coverage, flexible spending accounts, supplemental health protection plans (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity), auto and home insurance, identity theft protection, legal counseling, long-term care coverage, moving assistance, pet insurance and more.
- Free counseling services and resources for emotional, physical and financial wellbeing
- 401(k) Plan with a 100% match on 3% to 9% of pay (based on years of service)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan with 10% off HCA Healthcare stock
- Family support through fertility and family building benefits with Progyny and adoption assistance.
- Referral services for child, elder and pet care, home and auto repair, event planning and more
- Consumer discounts through Abenity and Consumer Discounts
- Retirement readiness, rollover assistance services and preferred banking partnerships
- Education assistance (tuition, student loan, certification support, dependent scholarships)
- Colleague recognition program
- Time Away From Work Program (paid time off, paid family leave, long- and short-term disability coverage and leaves of absence)
- Employee Health Assistance Fund that offers free employee-only coverage to full-time and part-time colleagues based on income.
Learn more about Employee Benefits
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
Our teams are a committed, caring group of colleagues. Do you want to work as a(an) Art Therapist where your passion for creating positive patient interactions are valued? If you are dedicated to caring for the well-being of others, this could be your next opportunity. We want your knowledge and expertise!
Job Summary and Qualifications
As an Art Therapist, you will plan and implement art therapy and therapeutic play activities for patients and families. You will demonstrate commitment to a patient and family-focused model of care. You will plan, initiate, provide and evaluate art therapy with patients and families. You will provide individual group and family art therapy at bedside, in playrooms and other locations as appropriate. You will adapt art therapy interventions to suit patient’s needs and abilities based on treatment goals. You will provide developmentally appropriate and culturally sensitive therapeutic services. You will provide clinical art therapy supervision for art therapy students and trainees as assigned.
What you will do in this role:
- As an Art Therapist, you will plan, direct, monitor and evaluate group area and individual art/play therapy services to patients /families in accordance with Ethical Standards of American Art Therapy Association.
- You will provide family support by completing individual consultation and evaluation of patient's siblings as needed. You will advise parents on techniques for behavior management and emotional nurturance of the ill child and provide art and play activities for distraction and education to assist patients in cooperating during medical care. You will provide educational programs to patients' peers at school when requested, and attends school conferences and IEP meetings when invited by parent, patient, or school administration.
- You will collaborate with members of health care team to provide art therapy services in a coordinated manner. You will attend treatment planning meetings to ensure coordination with team efforts. You will record progress in patient chart (inpatient or outpatient, as appropriate). You will orient and train, and perform preceptor activities for assigned students and volunteers to the program. You will provide in-service education to the staff as needed.
- You will obtain and maintain an appropriate selection /quantity of toys, equipment, and art supplies that are age-appropriate and safe. You will monitor the art and play area environment, including computer equipment. You will assist in identifying resources and maintaining library of relaxation and distraction techniques for patients and families.
- You will plan, organize and promote annual exhibit of patient artwork in appropriate areas. You will maintain and update contact list of patients and families. You will assist in preparing mailings for special events. You will provide creative arts seminars periodically for team-building and relaxation.
- You will assist with grant proposal writing and data collection as assigned.
What qualifications you will need:
- Master’s Degree in Art Therapy by accredited Art Therapy Program
- ATR - Registered Art Therapist. ATR Provisional Registered Art Therapist (ATR-Provisional) license will be accepted for those working towards their ATR licensure. ATR registration must be completed within 2 years of hire.
- Experience working directly with children ages 0-18 years.
- 2 years of experience as an Art Therapist; experience with pediatric patients or patients with complex medical & psychosocial issues preferred
- Registered and Board Certified Art Therapist (ATR-BC) preferred
- Basic Life Support (BLS) within 120 days of hire
Since opening in 1998 as the first and only hospital in San Antonio and South Texas designed and built just for children with over 200 beds, Methodist Children’s Hospital has set the standard for treating the children of South and Central Texas. The hospital has built a strong reputation for its outstanding pediatric services in many specialty areas including pediatric heart surgery, pulmonology, orthopedics, neurosurgery, newborn and pediatric intensive care, oncology and emergency services.
Our new tower is part of a landmark expansion that increased the footprint of the Methodist Hospital campus by 445,000 square feet. It includes 150 rooms and a dedicated children’s imaging department with new, state-of-the art technology. The Level IV NICU, the region’s largest with over 90 beds, has board-certified neonatologists in-house 24/7 to provide the highest level of neonatal care available. The hospital is among the nation’s top three providers of blood and marrow stem cell and cord blood transplants for children and is the largest BMT program in San Antonio. In addition, Methodist Children’s Hospital continues to be nationally recognized for the strongest quality record for patient safety. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Children’s Hospital under Locations.
"Bricks and mortar do not make a hospital. People do."- Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.
HCA Healthcare Co-Founder
If you are looking for an opportunity that provides satisfaction and personal growth, we encourage you to apply for our Art Therapist opening. We promptly review all applications. Highly qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. Unlock the possibilities and apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.