This job posting is no longer active.
SCHEDULE: PRN/Per Diem
In July 2017, South Texas Regional Medical Center became
part of the Methodist Healthcare System family, the most preferred and
respected healthcare provider in the area. With this change of ownership, we
are now known as Methodist Hospital South. Even though our name has changed,
the heart of our hospital remains; it just got a little bigger. The foundation
we now stand on is faith-based and driven by our commitment to “Serving
Humanity to Honor God”.
The clinical team at Methodist Hospital South is comprised
of healthcare professionals with years of training and experience who bring
compassion to their work. Our 67 bed hospital has been nationally recognized by
Leapfrog’s Hospital Safety Grade A, is a recipient of the Excellence in Patient
Safety Across the Board Award, designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center,
and is in pursuit of Level IV trauma designation. Our maternal newborn center
has been recognized with a Level I Maternal & Neonatal designation and
participates in the TexasAIM, Baby Friendly and Texas 10 Step programs. Acute
care services include our Emergency Department, Medical/Surgical Unit,
Intensive Care Unit, Labor & Delivery, 3 Operating Rooms and an Endoscopy
suite. Diagnostic and outpatient services include Tele-Neurology, Imaging,
Laboratory, Cardiopulmonary and Occupational, Physical and Speech
Therapies. For more information, please visit our website at www.methodisthospitalsouth.com.
In this role you will have the opportunity to support our OR.
Key features include:
Excellence in Patient Safety Across the Board Award Recipient
Leapfrog “A” Grade for Patient Safety
Multispecialty OR Unit, with capabilities for Ortho, Podiatry, EENT, Ophthalmology, GI, Pedi Dental, General and GYN
Certified First Assistant readily available for surgeons
Successful Surgical Services, Joint Commission Triennial Survey, with 0 Variances
3 OR rooms and 1 GI treatment Room, 6 Pre-Op Bays, 6 PACU Bays, 2 Step-Down bays, and 1 isolation room
Fully Functional Radiology Department to support the Surgical Services Department
Methodist Hospital Helipad and Helicopter available for immediate patient transport if needed
Tenured employees, low nursing turnover - employee turnover at 7.5% in the Methodist Hospital South Surgical Services Department
The Surgical Technologist assists with the delivery of quality surgical care through planning and anticipating the surgeon/procedure needs and coordinating with the circulating perioperative nurse during surgical procedures. Demonstrates competency in surgical technology; includes gathering and preparing sterile supplies, preparing/maintaining the sterile field, and assisting the surgeon by supplying sterile instruments to the sterile field. Performs routine scrub roles, as well as specifically delegated department duties. Consistently follows current AORN and regulatory standards.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plans for and obtains the equipment and supplies needed for assigned procedures according to physicians' preference and specific patient needs.
- Prepares equipment and supplies according to manufacturer's recommendations and specifications for uses during surgical procedures. Opens sterile packs according to established aseptic techniques and protocols.
- Monitors sterile field during procedure and takes appropriate measures to insure integrity of sterile field
- Prepares medications and solutions for use during procedures under the direction of the Registered Nurse
- Maintains accountability for instruments according to hospital policy throughout the surgical procedure to ensure that no foreign objects are retained in the surgical wound. Takes appropriate action if item count is not correct and informs the appropriate staff.
- Consistently follows safety procedures for Timeout and when handling sharp instruments, powered equipment, hazardous chemicals, and lasers.
- High school graduate or equivalent education
- ONE of the following:
A. Graduate of an surgical technologist program
B. 1 year of experience in a hospital setting as a surgical technologist prior to 9/1/2009.
- CERTIFIED: Must have and maintain ONE of the following:
A. CST – Certified Surgical Technologist through the National Board for Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) (formally the Liaison Council on Certification for the Surgical Technologist)
B. TS-C- Tech in Surgery, Certified through the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- NON-CERTIFIED: None if they meet the below provision:
Per Texas HB 643, surgical technologists entering practice after 09/01/2009 must have and maintain a surgical technologist certification. Individuals that performed in a surgical technologist position prior to 09/01/2009 are not required to obtain a surgical technologist certification.
- None required (unless used in lieu of education as stated above)
Our Company’s recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.