Northeast Methodist Hospital has played a major role in the phenomenal economic growth experienced in northeast Bexar County. It is licensed for 179 beds and has been nationally recognized by Leapfrog’s Hospital Safety Grade A. We offer a full array of services including 24/7 emergency care, open heart surgery, cardiac catheterizations, inpatient rehabilitation, orthopedic surgery, cancer care, intensive care and inpatient and outpatient surgeries and procedures.
Northeast Methodist Hospital is an accredited Chest Pain Center and is a Certified Stroke Center by The Joint Commission. We are recognized as an Accredited Heart Failure Center by the Healthcare Colloquium and as a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures® by The Joint Commission. Our hospital has received the Mission: Lifeline® Bronze Receiving Quality Achievement Award for implementing specific quality improvement measures outlined by the American Heart Association for the treatment of patients who suffer severe heart attacks and the Texas Award for Performance Excellence. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Northeast Methodist Hospital under Locations.
General Statement of Duties:
The Histology Technician II prepares and processes tissue specimens for examination and diagnosis by a pathologist, performs more advanced and specialized histology techniques, operates and maintains equipment, performs and monitors quality control, and serves as a resource to others.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Prepares and processes surgical, autopsy, bone marrow, body fluids, and biopsy specimens for gross and microscopic examination by a pathologist. Prepares frozen sections of surgical specimens for microscopic examination by a pathologist. Prepares solutions for stains and special procedures. Performs the more advanced and specialized histology techniques.
2. Performs preventive maintenance on common instruments and keeps records of maintenance as prescribed. Understands and performs basic quality control: identifies quality control problems, participates in quality assurance monitors.
3. Assures that results are satisfactory for pathological examination. Demonstrates pro-active problem solving skills to include identifying a problem and taking appropriate action; knows when to seek guidance to complete troubleshooting protocol; communicates necessary information to Team Leader or Manager.
4. Acts as a resource to customers, both within the department and outside the department. Accepts responsibility for own development to include cross-training in other functions or positions to ensure satisfactory operation of the department or to permit flexible staffing assignments.
5. Reviews, updates, writes histology laboratory procedures.
6. Answers telephones, communicates verified test results by phone, types procedures, files paperwork and slides, faxes documents, and performs data entry/retrieval as may be required, assists with inventory of supplies.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certificates Required:
High school graduation or equivalent and HTL (ASCP) or HT (ASCP) certification.
2 years experience in histopathology. Associate or baccalaureate degree is preferred.
Equipment Utilized: Meditech, tissue processing equipment, microscopes, centrifuges, biological and fume hoods, cryostat, microtome, slide coverslipper, slide stainer, and common office equipment.
Our Company’s recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.Apply Now