SHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
Full Time - Days (rotating weekends)
Do you have a passion for healthcare and helping others? Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced, patient-centered environment? Jump-start your career in our Pharmacy Department. Submit your application today!
We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
We are seeking a Pharmacy Clinical/Operations Specialist to join our team and be responsible for participating and leading pharmacy clinical or operational programs. This includes monitoring patient medication regimens and providing appropriate interventions. The Clinical Specialist shall also assist in mentoring pharmacy staff and precepting students/residents and assist in the evaluation and implementation of clinical/operational programs.
What you will do in this position:
- Interprets orders and transcribes or verifies them accurately and efficiently into the pharmacy computer system
- Accurately compound and dispense pharmaceuticals
- Complies with facility policy and procedures and regulatory requirements
- Monitors drug therapy regimens for contraindications, drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, allergies and appropriateness of drug and dose
- Provides clinical consultation and clarification to practitioners. Suggests appropriate, cost-effective therapeutic alternatives to medical staff as needed.
- Sustains the hospital formulary, minimizing nonformulary procurements, utilizing therapeutic interchanges and promotes rational drug therapy selection
- Attends and actively participates in daily multidisciplinary and bedside rounds
- Completes drug utilization reviews to promote rational drug therapy and implement improvements identified
- Provides accurate and timely medication information to healthcare staff and patients
- Leads and develops pharmacy clinical services such as drug consults, nutrition support, pharmacokinetics, anticoagulant monitoring, pain management, IV to PO, renal dosing and other programs as defined by Pharmacy Leadership. Develop, manage and mentor antimicrobial management program (AMP).
- Documents all clinical activities and interventions accurately and completely. Responsible for mentoring and education as well as ongoing analysis of interventions to insure accurate and appropriate documentation and provide summary reports.
- Supports and participates in the goals of the organization’s quality improvement, risk management and patient safety program to include but not limited to National Patient Safety Goals, Core Measures and HCAHPS medication related initiatives.
- Participates in the design, collection, and reporting of adverse drug reactions, drug utilization reviews, medication errors and pharmacy quality initiatives
- Leads the training and mentorship of pharmacists, pharmacy students, residents, technicians, nurses and physicians. Develop and document staff competency on an ongoing basis and develops improvement plans when deficiencies in competencies are identified
- Leads in preceptorship of pharmacy students and/or residents.
- Maintains professional competency sufficient to meet current and future needs of the facility.
- Provides and demonstrate expertise in a specialized area of pharmacy practice (operational and/or clinical)
- Provides basic technical support for automated dispensing machines and other pharmacy computer systems
- Effectively supervises pharmacy operation activities and provides support to the whole pharmacy team
- Complies with facility pharmacy schedule to work physically at patient care areas to interact with medical staff, nurses and other members of the healthcare team.
- Effectively and proactively intervenes in conflicts between pharmacy and medical staff regarding drug therapy issue resolutions.
- Trains and participates with Disaster Team drills and real-event response as assigned
- Trains and participates with Code Teams as assigned. Obtain and maintain BLS-ACLS or PALS current certification as appropriate.
- Maintains appropriate controlled substance records. Works with the Pharmacy Director and appropriate manager to identify and develop processes to meet or exceed all controlled substance diversion prevention and monitoring standards. Participate in controlled substance reviews and audits
- Complies with all regulatory standards. Works with the Pharmacy Director to identify and develop processes to meet or exceed all regulatory standards. Participates in quality and regulatory reviews and audits
- Prioritizes work and lead others to comply with facility medication turn-around time policy and procedure. Identifies areas for improved efficiency. Assists in implementation of process changes.
- Supervises and assists pharmacy technicians and other support staff effectively.
- Participates in establishing pharmacy goals and objectives and assists in the implementation.
- Participates with various nursing and medical staff committees as necessary.
- Assists with staff performance evaluations.
- Acts as manager in charge as assigned.
- Provides review and guidance on physician order sets and other evidenced based medication use guidelines.
- Assists with the preparation of the pharmacy newsletter and/or other forms of written and electronic communication.
- Performs drug class reviews and drug monographs.
- Participates in all aspects of the drug formulary management process.
- Asists with the development, implementation, and monitoring of pharmacy operations initiatives (operational/clinical)
- Participates in the development and review of pharmacy policies and procedures
- Assists in the design and update of pharmacy computer system programs relating to pharmacy, nursing and physician programs
- Assists in the maintenance of pharmacy dictionaries including adding new drugs to the drug dictionary and Gold Standard formulary Charge Master maintenance
- Chairs/Co-Chairs or is a standing committee member of a facility based committee within scope of practice
- Presents at division wide clinical service line meetings as applicable to area of expertise.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Provides cross-coverage in pharmacy areas as required. Assists in times of short staffing or increased workload to ensure quality patient care.
Education: ONE of the following:
What qualifications you will need:
Minimum of 3 years’ experience as Advanced Clinical Pharmacist (in a specific area of focus) or at least 5 years of general hospital pharmacy experience required; preferably within area of focus
Or completion of a PGY2 pharmacy residency or fellowship
AND BCPS certification or other Board of Pharmacy Specialty (BPS) certification
Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population served (if applicable).
License, Certificates or Registrations Required:
- ONE of the following prior to the first day of employment:
- Current Registered Pharmacist licensed by the Texas State Board of Pharmacy
- Licensed pharmacist in another state: Provide proof of the Authorization to Test (ATT) from the Texas State Board of Pharmacy
- ACLS/PALS and NALS required for critical care/ED position dependent on population served.
Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the now internationally
acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. With over 800 beds, Methodist Hospital
offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, oncology, bone marrow
transplants, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and
orthopedics. We are proud to be the largest provider of the lifesaving ECMO
Program in San Antonio, are home to the largest robotics program in the world,
and our Adult Blood Cancer and Stem Cell Transplant unit has become the first program
to receive FACT Accreditation in North America.
flagship hospital, and most comprehensive medical care facility of Methodist
Healthcare, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the
community. We’ve recently been named the No.1 Best Regional Hospital by the
U.S. News and World Report for 2019-20. We pride ourselves on providing the
highest quality of care possible for our patients, which is proven by our
consecutive Grade A Leapfrog Hospital Safety scores. In addition, Methodist
Hospital not only received a Primary Stroke Center designation from The Joint
Commission, but has also received a Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification
from DNV GL Healthcare, designating the facility as offering the most advanced
stroke treatment available in a given geographic area. For more information,
please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Hospital
Be a part of an organization that invests in you. We are actively reviewing applications. Qualified candidates will be promptly contacted by our hiring managers for interviews. Submit your application today and help us raise the bar in patient care!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our Company’s recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.