SHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
Do you have a passion for healthcare and helping others? Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced, patient-centered environment? Jump-start your career in our Pharmacy department. Submit your application today!
We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
Seeking a Medication Reconciliation Pharmacist Supervisor to join our team. The Medication Reconciliation Pharmacy Supervisor shall practice the profession of pharmacy with the utmost code of ethics demonstrating the organization’s mission and values. The Medication Reconciliation Pharmacy Supervisor provides the administrative coordination and process oversight of the Advanced Clinical Pharmacist – Medication Reconciliation and Medication History Technicians. The supervisor is responsible for day-to-day operations for home medication list and medication reconciliation program. This role is responsible for assuring the safe, effective, evidence-based, and cost-effective selection and utilization of medications for the patients in which their team serves. The pharmacist supervisor uses advanced knowledge, skills, and professional judgment in collaboration with other healthcare professionals through the transitions of care process. Adherence to all regulatory and medication safety guidelines are at the forefront of all actions and decisions made within the care process. The pharmacy supervisor will work directly with the certified pharmacy technician to review home medication lists to provide a streamlined medication reconciliation transition into the hospital. Cost-effective utilization of medications will be reviewed and drafted as part of the inpatient admission medication list and discharge medication list by the pharmacist. As needed, the pharmacist will provide recommendations and/or literature to prescribers supporting the use of formulary agent, as well as, education to clinicians and patients regarding medication management. The pharmacist supervisor will be an active member of one of the following hospital committees: P&T Committee or Medication Safety. This position is responsible for creating a patient and customer focused care delivery model. The supervisor will be responsible for attracting and developing a team of highly capable, committed staff through recruiting and interviewing candidates that have a passion for patients and customer centered care. The supervisor is responsible for maintaining benchmark accountability metrics that equate to the success of the program.
What you will do in this role:
- Manages and supervises pharmacy staff including responsibilities for formulating and implementing institutional policy and practice for medication reconciliation at the department level, and overseeing day-to-day operations and workflow of the pharmacy department led medication history and reconciliation program.
- Ensures medication history and reconciliation is completed according to established policies, procedures and protocols.
- Continuously works with the pharmacy services team and interdisciplinary care team to improve medication history and reconciliation processes.
- Provides training for, and assures the continued competency of, those involved in completing medication history and reconciliation.
- Meets with technician regularly to provide leadership and to share best practices to improve patient medication history safety, and provides coaching as needed to enhance individual performance.
IDENTIFICATION AND RESOLUTION OF DRUG RELATED PROBLEMS
- Verifies each medication documented by the Certified Pharmacy Technician/Medication History Technician in the electronic healthcare record and clarifies questions with the technician and patient as needed.
- Prepares and dispenses medication orders per physician request according to established policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Communicates with providers to reconcile the admission medication history taking into consideration equivalent formulary alternatives, and drafts the admission medication list for the provider.
- Documents interventions in the electronic health record and in CPW/VigiLanz, and cosigns technician notes in the electronic health record.
- Reconciles discharge medications, provides recommendations to the provider as necessary, and drafts the discharge medication list for the provider.
- Provides education and/or discharge counseling for patients at risk of readmission for patients and their caregivers managing medications in the home or equivalent setting.
- Ascertains need for language assistance and obtains interpreter as necessary.
- Provides verbal and written medication education to enhance patient understanding.
- Identifies and works to resolve drug-related problems that may affect patient adherence.
- Analyzes data to demonstrate the success of the pharmacy led medication reconciliation safety program.
- Monitors key metrics to ensure program performance, including but not limited to, number of medication histories completed by each technician, technician time documented to complete the medication history, and undocumented time between patients to ensure that productivity is met.
- Documents good catches and shares them with pharmacy leadership and hospital team.
- Manages performance of technicians and performs unannounced quality assurance assessments periodically to validate medication histories are completed according to established policies, procedures and protocols, and completed performance appraisal of certified pharmacy technicians/medication history technicians.
- Directs the preparation of written or oral reports at shift change to communicate incomplete assignments and potential patient safety concerns to ensure continuity of medication therapy and assure that patient charges and credits are processed in a timely fashion.
- Coordinates with the Information Systems Pharmacist on operational activities related to informatics, order entry systems and automated dispensing cabinets.
- Assists in the recruitment, interviewing and evaluation of pharmacists, pharmacy residents, pharmacy technicians and pharmacy interns as applicable to transitions of care and helps coordinate new hire training for pharmacy services led medication history and reconciliation.
- Ensures the accuracy of time away from work records in coordination with other department managers.
- Develops pharmacist schedule and supervises pharmacists and technicians in the performance of their assigned duties on a daily basis and prioritizes tasks in the event of staffing shortages.
- Helps to implement strategies designed to strengthen the pharmacy program.
- Adheres to facility and departmental policies and procedures, objectives, and quality assurance programs as well as safety, environmental and infection control standards in the performance of work duties.
- Supports and participates in the goals of the organization’s quality improvement, risk management and patient safety program to include but not limited to National Patient Safety Goals, Quality Measures and HCAHPS medication related initiatives, specifically for transitions of care activities.
B.S. or PharmD Degree from an accredited College of Pharmacy, Graduate of an accredited residency program OR
3 years’ experience of hospital pharmacy required OR
Completion of hospital PGY2/pharmacy specialty residency in internal medicine or ambulatory care
Minimum of 1 year as a Pharmacy Clinical/Operations Specialist. Experience performing basic mathematical calculations, balance and reconciliation of figures. Experience working in Microsoft Office and facility’s EHR (e.g., Meditech, EPIC, Cerner) OR
Equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Hospital Pharmacy Management or advanced degree (e.g., MBA, MHA, MS), Specialty board certification preferred.
- Pharmacy License; (PGY1) Pharmacy Practice Residency, National Provider Identifier (NPI)
- Preferred : [email protected] Specialized Residency in area of specialty
Be a part of an organization that invests in you. We are actively reviewing applications. Qualified candidates will be promptly contacted by our hiring managers for interviews. Submit your application today and help us raise the bar in patient care!
Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the now internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. With over 800 beds, Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, oncology, bone marrow transplants, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics. We are proud to be the largest provider of the lifesaving ECMO Program in San Antonio, are home to the largest robotics program in the world, and our Adult Blood Cancer and Stem Cell Transplant unit has become the first program to receive FACT Accreditation in North America.
As the flagship hospital, and most comprehensive medical care facility of Methodist Healthcare, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the community. We’ve recently been named the No.1 Best Regional Hospital by the U.S. News and World Report for 2019-20. We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality of care possible for our patients, which is proven by our consecutive Grade A Leapfrog Hospital Safety scores. In addition, Methodist Hospital not only received a Primary Stroke Center designation from The Joint Commission, but has also received a Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification from DNV GL Healthcare, designating the facility as offering the most advanced stroke treatment available in a given geographic area. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Hospital under Locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our Company’s recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.