SCHEDULE: PRN/Per Diem
With over 370 beds Methodist Hospital Metropolitan offers outstanding heart and cancer care, general surgery, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, obstetrics and gynecology services, inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services, sleep disorder evaluation and the largest emergency room in downtown San Antonio. Our women’s pavilion is the only stand-alone center city facility dedicated to the health of women and their newborn babies, welcoming nearly 4,000 newborns into the world each year. Methodist Hospital Metropolitan is home to the Methodist Weight Loss Center and has been designated an American Society for Metabolic Surgery Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence®
Our hospital has been recognized by Modern Healthcare as a Best Place to Work in Healthcare, and for the fourth consecutive year as a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation. It is the first hospital in San Antonio to achieve Pathway to Excellence designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Methodist Hospital Metropolitan has been nationally recognized by Leapfrog for focus on safety and quality, receiving a Grade A Hospital Safety Score for 8 consecutive rating periods. We are also proud to be an Accredited Chest Pain Center by the American College of Cardiology and Primary Stroke Center by the Joint Commission, as well as the first Texas hospital to earn a Gold Seal of Approval for Sepsis Certification. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Hospital Metropolitan under Locations.
We offer you a generous benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Discount Program
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Student Loan Repayment
General Statement of Duties:
Under the direction of the licensed anesthetist and the RN, the Anesthesia Technician provides anesthesia support to the licensed anesthetist during surgical procedures. The Anesthesia Technician anticipates the needs of the licensed anesthetist through preparation and maintenance of supplies, patient monitoring equipment and anesthesia delivery systems. This includes anticipating anesthesia needs, maintaining stock levels, setting up supplies and equipment, cleaning and storage of equipment, equipment operation, basic troubleshooting and ensuring equipment operation and maintenance. The Anesthesia Technician is an integral member of the perioperative team and he/she works in a collaborative role with the circulating RN and the perioperative team to ensure a safe and optimal patient perioperative experience.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Anticipates the needs of the licensed anesthetist for regional, epidural and spinal blocks and the induction of general anesthesia through the application of technical knowledge and competence in set-up, operation and troubleshooting of anesthesia delivery systems, monitors and ancillary devices to include the laryngoscope, intubation equipment and IV solution and tubing set-up.
2. Consistently uses aseptic technique, and correctly sets up and prepares needed supplies and equipment for invasive line monitoring. Assists the anesthetist in the preparation and draping for invasive line placement and monitoring.
3. Maintains designated par levels of anesthesia supplies and ensures carts are stocked with immediate use items used for operative procedures. Participates in evaluating new equipment/supplies that pertains to the anesthesia service.
4. Ensures utilized equipment is appropriately cleaned, stored and in proper working order prior to use; performs basic equipment troubleshooting as necessary. Submits work orders in a timely manner for needed maintenance/repairs. Properly cleans and stores equipment after use. Schedules preventative maintenance as required and follows up on completion.
5. Consistently cleans, disinfects, sterilizes and ensures availability of utilized anesthesia equipment according to AORN standards and practices.
6. Works in collaboration with the circulating RN and assists with the placement of non-invasive monitoring devices (blood pressure cuff, EKG leads and pulse oximeter probe), patient transport and positioning, as directed.
Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics:
High school graduate or equivalent
2. Experience: none
3. Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service
line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population
served (if applicable).
4. Preferred: prior anesthesia technician experience in a hospital setting
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required: None
Environmental and Physical Demands/Hazardous Conditions:
( X) INSIDE: Spends approximately 40__ hours or more per week inside.
( ) OUTSIDE: Spend approximately __ hours per week outside (driving/running work related errands).
( ) BOTH: The activities occur inside and outside in approximately equal amounts.
WORK POSITIONS: (defined in 5% increments of work time):
Sitting 15 % + Standing 15 % + Walking 70 % = 100%
LIFTING/CARRYING DEMANDS: Ability to lift, push and pull with assistance (mechanical or co-worker) the weight of an average patient/heaviest object specific to the department.
( ) SEDENTARY WORK: Lifting 10 lbs. maximum and occasional lifting and/or carrying articles.
( ) LIGHT WORK: Lifting 20 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying articles weighing up to 10 lbs.
( X ) MEDIUM WORK: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
( ) HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
( ) VERY HEAVY WORK: Lifting objects in excess of 100 lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing more than 50 lbs.
Our Company’s recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.