SHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the now internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. From the beginning, we've recognized the unique needs of each of our patients. It's a process that we continue to improve on, creating ways to better serve the community when they need us the most. With 981 beds, Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, cancer care, bone marrow transplants, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics.
As the flagship hospital of the Medical Center and of the Methodist Healthcare system of hospitals, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the community having been ranked No. 1 in the Express-News Reader's Choice Awards. We also enjoy being the most preferred hospital in San Antonio, as consistently reported by the Consumer Research Corporation. Methodist Hospital has been nationally recognized by Leapfrog’s Hospital Safety Grade A, accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care, and designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com
and select Methodist Hospital under Locations.
In this role you will have the opportunity to support our OR (or CVOR). Key features include:
Largest robotic program nationwide with six da Vinci Xi HD Surgical Robots
Intraoperative Magnetic Resonance Imaging Suite (IMRIS)
Largest Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) program in the country in a non-academic setting
Largest neurosurgery and gynecology programs in South Texas
Extensive breast reconstructive surgery program to include DIEP flaps and vascularized lymph node transfer
Growing head and neck oncology surgical services
Level III Trauma Center
22 state of the art OR suites
- 5 state of the art CVOR suites, including 2 hybrid suite
- Servicing all of South Texas heart transplant
- ECMO program for adults and pediatrics
- Busy TAVR program
- Congenital heart program
- Complex Aortic/Endovascular Program
As a professional Registered Nurse (RN) at Methodist, you would serve as an advocate for the patient and their family. We are looking for RNs who have a passion for serving humanity and want to deliver exceptional care to those they serve.
We offer you a generous benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Disability and Life Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Paid Time Off
Employee Discount Program
Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Student Loan Repayment
The professional Perioperative Registered Nurse (RN) is a direct care provider who assists surgeons with surgical procedures and acts as the patient and patient’s family advocate. He/she consistently applies and utilizes the nursing process, critical thinking skills, scientific judgment, technical skills and leadership in accordance with the Association of Perioperative Nursing (AORN) standards and Hospital policy to independently deliver safe perioperative nursing care to patients. The Perioperative RN collaborates with the patient care team to achieve quality patient outcomes in alignment with the Hospital mission and Methodist Excellence goals. Communicates and utilizes interpersonal skills effectively and role models confidence and professionalism within nursing as evidenced by active engagement in unit and organizational activities. Demonstrates team work and adaptability and is a resource person to the patient care team. He/she is accountable for the quality of nursing care services delivered by self or others under their direction in accordance with the Texas Nurse Practice Act, hospital policies and procedures and the Texas Board of Nursing rules for delegated nursing tasks (Chapter 224). Promotes a positive image of nursing and demonstrates team work and adaptability through consistently following the ICARE Values and standards of Methodist Excellence
Essential Job Functions:
1. Applies nursing judgment through a thorough, systematic approach of applying the nursing process before, during, and after surgery by:
- Assessment: Conducts comprehensive and ongoing focused physical, psycho-social, and pain assessments (includes assessment of patient education needs).
- Planning: Utilizes the perioperative assessment, identifies problems, makes nursing diagnoses, formulates goals, teaching plans and outcomes to create an individualized perioperative plan of care.
- Ensures surgical supplies and equipment are available and in good working order.
- Identifies individual patient goals related to the perioperative experience, readiness to learn, and incorporates family into the perioperative plan of care.
- Implementation: Prioritizes and implements a competent, prioritized, and efficient perioperative nursing plan of care.
- Evaluation/Reassessment: Consistently conducts timely evaluations, anticipates and recognizes changes in patient conditions, determines when reassessments are needed, and adjusts the plan of care as necessary. Compares expected and achieved outcomes of nursing care utilizing the perioperative plan of care.
2. Collaborates with patient care team members (surgeon, anesthesia, surgical technologists, surgical first assistants, and post-operative RN staff), incorporating consistent use of hand-off communication and SBAR communication methods.
3. Demonstrates critical thinking skills, scientific judgment, and organizational skills. Prioritizes tasks and adjusts priorities when necessary. Maintains an orderly and efficient flow of patients. Recognizes and reports errors and unusual occurrences Initiates corrective action when appropriate.
4. Makes accurate, complete, and timely entries into the patient medical record addressing all steps of the perioperative nursing process. Actively communicates with members of the healthcare team, patient, and patient family.
5. Maintains current perioperative nursing knowledge in accordance with the Association of Perioperative Nurses (AORN) to assure a safe working environment for the patient and surgical team. Demonstrates practical application of all policies relative to safety and the pillars of Methodist Excellence to include: Applicable quality core measures, infection prevention, medication administration safety, and AIDET principles. Demonstrates surgical conscience and enforces strict standards of asepsis; applies knowledge current sterilization practices; and demonstrates technical competence in the use of surgical equipment.
6. Responsible to supervise tasks delegated to unlicensed personnel (surgical technologists, surgical first assistants, anesthesia technicians and perioperative service technicians) and accountable for tasks performed by unlicensed personnel according to the Texas BON rules for delegated nursing tasks (Chapter 224).
You should be a graduate of an accredited diploma, associates, or baccalaureate degree nursing program. If you have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or certification in your specialty area you will be considered more highly qualified and eligible for our RN IV position.
You should possess your RN License to practice as a professional RN in the state of Texas or an Active Multi-State RN Compact License. If you have a Compact License you will be required to obtain a Texas RN License within 90 days of hire.
You should have a current BLS Certification
You should have more than 6 months of clinical experience as a licensed RN
If you find this opportunity to improve the lives of our patients compelling, we encourage you to apply and learn more about how we can work together in “Serving Humanity to Honor God”.
Our Company’s recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.