Methodist Hospital Metropolitan
Non Invasive Cardiology Dept/Clinical Technicians
FT - Non-Exempt
Do you have a passion for healthcare and helping others? Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced, patient-centered environment? Jump-start your career in our Non Invasive Cardiology Department. Submit your application today!
We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
What you will do in this role:
1. Acquires a signed physician order with indicator for all exams. Demonstrates good judgment in responding to STAT calls and appropriately prioritizes STAT orders. Ensures patient consent is signed for the ordered procedure. Effectively communicates and explains the procedure to the patient without discussing clinical findings of the exam. Validates the patient and/or family understanding of the procedure.
2. Ensures proper equipment operation during patient exams. Demonstrates proficiency in basic troubleshooting, equipment cleaning, storage and preventative maintenance.
3. Demonstrates technical proficiency for echocardiograms:
A. Adult and pediatric (if applicable) echocardiograms: Performs 2-D, M-mode, color Doppler, pulsed wave Doppler, and continuous wave Doppler. This includes all measurements as needed for a complete study to include parasternal long axis, parasternal short axis, apical 4-chamber, apical long axis, and apical 2-chamber, and subcostal 4-chamber view, subcostal short axis, subcostal RV outflow, abdominal aorta, suprasternal long axis of the aortic arch, and RV outflow to evaluate the MPA and branch PAs. Applies critical thinking skills to assess the patient condition to provide any additional views that will assist the cardiologist in the care/treatment of the patient.
B. Stress echo (exercise and chemical): Performs 2-D imaging at the highest level for the evaluation of wall motion abnormalities. Stress images will include P-LAX, P-SAX, apical 4-chamber, and apical 2-chamber.
C. Demonstrates technical proficiency for TEEs. Set up of equipment and all supplies. Assists cardiologist with probe insertion as directed. After probe placement, tape all data as requested. Upon completion of procedure, candidate will immediately clean and disinfect probe according to departmental policy.
4. Assists with head up tilt table testing. Responsible for patient preparation to include validating the patient is NPO, patient transport, placement of electrodes, placement of blood pressure cuff and presence of a patent saline lock. If continuous monitoring is required, secures the use of EKG monitoring equipment. If labs are required, candidate will arrange for blood drawing. Candidate will remain with patient at all times and offer assistance under the direction of a RN.
5. Demonstrates technical proficiency at carotid imaging. Ability to obtain images of the common carotid, bulb, internal and external carotids with color doppler and pulsed wave doppler. Provides measurements as necessary for a complete evaluation of both right and left carotids.
6. Maintains all patient reports in accordance with Hospital policy. This includes but is not limited to the following: pulling all previous reports/images; presenting images to the correct reading physician; notifying reading physicians of requests; entering proper patient charges into Meditech; performing database and operating system backup; error log review; Hemodynamic Monitoring system data field modification; and proper storage of archived exam/study data.
1. Education and experience:
Candidates must be registry eligible for RDCS/RDMS-FE from ARDMS or RCS from CCI.
Effective 01/01/2013 new hires must meet ONE of the following registry eligible provisions:
A. Completion of an Associate’s Degree/two year patient-care related allied health education program (diagnostic medical sonographer, radiologic technologist, respiratory therapist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, RN program) AND one (1) year full-time clinical ultrasound/vascular ultrasound experience. (ARDMS and RCS eligibility)
B. Graduate of a CAAHEP accredited diagnostic medical sonography, diagnostic cardiac sonography or vascular technology program. (RCS and ARDMS eligibility)
C. Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent) AND six (6) months of full-time clinical ultrasound/vascular experience. (RCS eligibility)
D. Bachelor’s degree in sonography or vascular technology (or foreign equivalent). (ARDMS eligibility).
E. Current Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS), Registered Congenital Cardiac Sonographer (RCCS) or Registered Vascular Specialist (RVS) through Cardiovascular Credentialing International. (ARDMS eligibility)
F. High school graduate/G.E.D. AND two (2) years full-time on-the-job experience in cardiac or vascular ultrasound. (RCS eligibility)
G. Graduate of a non-accredited program in Cardiac Medical Sonography that includes a minimum of one (1) year of specialty training (to include 800 clinical hours). (RCS eligibility)
2. Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population served (if applicable).
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required:
A. REGISTERED: Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) from Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI) and requires:
? American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) in ONE of the following:
i. Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) for the patient population served:
Adult (RDCS-AE), Fetal (RDCS-FE), and/or Pediatric (RDCS-PE) OR ii. Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer in Fetal Echocardiography (RDMS-FE)
B. NON-REGISTERED: In accordance to the educational requirements found in section one, all new hires who become registry-eligible will be required to obtain one of the required registries listed in section A above within 12 months from the date of hire.
Be a part of an organization that invests in you. We are actively reviewing applications. Qualified candidates will be promptly contacted by our hiring managers for interviews. Submit your application today and help us raise the bar in patient care!
With over 370 beds Methodist Hospital Metropolitan offers outstanding heart and cancer care, general surgery, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, obstetrics and gynecology services, inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services, sleep disorder evaluation and the largest emergency room in downtown San Antonio. Our women’s pavilion is the only stand-alone center city facility dedicated to the health of women and their newborn babies, welcoming nearly 4,000 newborns into the world each year. Methodist Hospital Metropolitan is home to the Methodist Weight Loss Center and has been designated an American Society for Metabolic Surgery Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence®.
Our hospital has been recognized by Modern Healthcare as a Best Place to Work in Healthcare, and for the fourth consecutive year as a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation. It is the first hospital in San Antonio to achieve Pathway to Excellence designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Methodist Hospital Metropolitan has been nationally recognized by Leapfrog for focus on safety and quality, receiving a Grade A Hospital Safety Score for 8 consecutive rating periods. We are also proud to be an Accredited Chest Pain Center by the American College of Cardiology and Primary Stroke Center by the Joint Commission, as well as the first Texas hospital to earn a Gold Seal of Approval for Sepsis Certification. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Hospital Metropolitan under Locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.