Methodist Hospital Texsan
Patient Safety Attendant/Sitter
Sitters Department/Patient Care Support
FT - Non-Exempt
Do you have a passion for healthcare and helping others? Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced, patient-centered environment? Jump-start your career in our Sitters Department. Submit your application today!
We offer full and part time employees an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program, and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
Seeking a Patient Safety Attendant (PSA) who participates in high-quality, patient-centered care by providing continuous observation and monitoring for high risk patients. In collaboration with the patient care team, the PSA ensures the patient environment is free of obstacles and minimizes risk of falls and accidental or intentional self-harm. The Sitter may also assist with basic activities of daily living.
What you will do in this role:
• Maintains a direct line of sight with patient at all times, including while family and/or visitors are in the room. Accompanies patient and ensures patient safety during transportation, testing, and procedures occurring away from the patient’s normal environment.
• Establishes a safe, risk-free patient environment by utilizing knowledge of fall prevention protocols, infection control measures, and self-harm prevention. Performs room assessment regularly and after any visitations.
• Monitors patient physical and emotional condition. Reports any changes in status promptly while remaining direct line of sight with the patient.
• Intervenes as needed to prevent patient from harming self or others. Seeks immediate assistance for escalating incidents.
• Creates clear, accurate documentation on patient status and activity during the shift.
• Demonstrates knowledge and respect of patient rights to privacy and protection of patient confidentiality.
• Promotes consistent, positive patient interactions that advance the agenda of unparalleled patient service.
• Demonstrates caring and empathy in all interactions and advocates for patient- and family-centered approach in all decisions and actions.
• Demonstrates excellent communication skills, including active listening. Ensures patients, physicians, and colleagues have a clear understanding of all communications.
• Engages in evidence-based best practices that enhance the patient experience, including communication fundamentals/AIDET, Teach-Back, Narrating Care, etc.
• Participates as an active member of the health care team and positively promotes the rest of the team to patients/families/caregivers and other colleagues.
• Maintains a professional appearance and demonstrates behaviors consistent with established policies/procedures.
Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics:
3. Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population served (if applicable).
4. Preferred: 1+ years of experience in a healthcare setting.
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required:
Basic Life Support (BLS) & De-Escalation Training within 30 days of employment
Be a part of an organization that invests in you. We are actively reviewing applications. Qualified candidates will be promptly contacted by our hiring managers for interviews. Submit your application today and help us raise the bar in patient care!
Methodist Hospital Texsan is a full service 120 bed acute care hospital specializing as one of South Texas’s premier heart and orthopedic hospitals. As an advanced center for cardiac care, we are certified in chest pain and heart failure with comprehensive cardiac services including research and clinical trials. Using state-of-the-art technology such as our robotics program, our orthopedic services, including the Joint Replacement Academy and the Center for Spine, boast some of the best clinical results in the industry.
Methodist Hospital Texsan is the first hospital in San Antonio to receive the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for Chest Pain Certification. We have also received the Heart Care Center National Distinction of Excellence award – the highest recognition a hospital can receive. Our excellence extends to our ICU which was awarded the Silver Beacon Award for Excellence. Our Level IV trauma emergency service is a leader in San Antonio in patient experience and efficiency. Our 30 bed Inpatient Rehab Unit has received the Rehabilitation Stroke Certification from the Joint Commission. Methodist Hospital Texsan has also been recognized by Modern Healthcare’s Best Places to Work in Healthcare for 3 years in a row and was a recipient of the 2019 Guardian of Excellence Award® by Press Ganey. For more information please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Hospital Texsan under Locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.