Do you have the PRN career opportunities as a(an) Pharmacy Technician Specialist PRN you want with your current employer? We have an exciting opportunity for you to join Methodist Hospital which is part of the nation's leading provider of healthcare services, Methodist Healthcare.
Methodist Hospital, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
- Comprehensive medical coverage that covers many common services at no cost or for a low copay. Plans include prescription drug and behavioral health coverage as well as telemedicine services and free AirMed medical transportation.
- Additional options for dental and vision benefits, life and disability coverage, flexible spending accounts, supplemental health protection plans (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity), auto and home insurance, identity theft protection, legal counseling, long-term care coverage, moving assistance, pet insurance and more.
- Fertility and family building benefits through Progyny
- Free counseling services and resources for emotional, physical and financial wellbeing
- Family support, including adoption assistance, child and elder care resources and consumer discounts
- 401(k) Plan with a 100% match on 3% to 9% of pay (based on years of service)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Retirement readiness and rollover services and preferred banking partnerships
- Education assistance (tuition, student loan, certification support, dependent scholarships)
- Colleague recognition program
- Time Away From Work Program (paid time off, paid family leave, long- and short-term disability coverage and leaves of absence)
Learn more about Employee Benefits
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
Our teams are a committed, caring group of colleagues. Do you want to work as a(an) Pharmacy Technician Specialist PRN where your passion for creating positive patient interactions are valued? If you are dedicated to caring for the well-being of others, this could be your next opportunity. We want your knowledge and expertise!
Job Summary and Qualifications
As a Pharmacy Technician Specialist, you will be responsible for accurately performing advanced and basic pharmacy technician functions in a timely manner. Your duties are performed under the direct supervision of a pharmacist and according to professional standards and practices. As a Pharmacy Technician Specialist you may demonstrate skill in sterile compounding preparation and hazardous drugs preparation (chemo certification training). In addition, you will be responsible for performing duties associated with Automated Dispensing Cabinets, other specialized duties and/or leadership roles as assigned by the pharmacy management team.
What you will do in this role:
- As a Pharmacy Technician Specialist, you will act as a facility Automated Dispensing Cabinet (ADC) Super User/Trainer. You will assist in education of new pharmacy ADC users and serve as a resource to both pharmacy and nursing staff for problems and/or questions. You will perform daily ADC routines as assigned (i.e. restocks, outdates, discrepancy resolution, loading and unloading, etc.) and provide oversight of these activities for appropriate inventory management. You will manage the ADC’s formulary for new medications and communicate with individual ADC users when errors are made and re-educate as to correct procedures.
- You will work with purchaser and Director of Pharmacy to perform CII safe expiration audits, compare report audits and daily reports review including compounding reconciliation. You will investigate discrepancies to determine if true discrepancy and complete incident reports as required. You will review RX Auditor report and generate investigation reports for nurse managers/directors to review. You will perform accurate audits of narcotic overrides, anesthesia documentation, etc. as assigned.
- You will work with Inventory Manager, IV room and utilizes EXP reports to reduce expirations and waste in the ADC and central pharmacy. You will identify, analyze and evaluate data from a variety of sources as assigned. You will perform the role of inventory manager/buyer when that person is not available or as assigned. You will assist with narcotic ordering and maintains inventory as assigned.
- You will provide direction and training to other technicians as assigned. You will assist in the supervision of other technicians to ensure that policies and procedures and regulatory requirements are uniformly and consistently followed. You will perform Technician scheduling as assigned. You will perform and supervise other technicians for administrative billing functions as assigned.
- You will identify critical issues, prioritize workload and communicate to appropriate personnel any issues in a timely manner. You will interact in person and by phone with hospital personnel politely and appropriately. You will perform and monitor compliance for quality control and performance improvement functions as assigned. You will accurately perform and document monthly medication storage area inspections as assigned.
- You will perform all duties required of basic technicians as required including filling of medication orders, safe compounding and labeling of parenteral admixtures including hazardous medications if competent. You will be in compliant with all facility policies and procedures and regulatory requirements.
What qualifications you will need:
- High School diploma or equivalent education
- Completion of a course sponsored by an ACPE provider which provides 40 hours of instruction and experience and meets Texas Board of Pharmacy requirements to compound sterile products. Training may be obtained through completion of a recognized course in an accredited College of Pharmacy or a course sponsored by an ACPE accredited provider.
- Minimum 2 years of hospital experience required
- Minimum 1 year sterile compounding experience preferred
- Supervisor experience preferred
- Current Registered Pharmacy Technician by Texas State Board of Pharmacy or Intern Certification with the Texas Board of Pharmacy
Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the now internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. With over 900 beds, Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, oncology, bone marrow transplants, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics. We are proud to be the largest provider of the lifesaving ECMO Program in San Antonio, are home to the largest robotics program in the world, and our Adult Blood Cancer and Stem Cell Transplant unit has become the first program to receive FACT Accreditation in North America.
As the flagship hospital, and most comprehensive medical care facility of Methodist Healthcare, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the community. We’ve recently been named the No.1 Best Regional Hospital by the U.S. News and World Report for 2019-20. We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality of care possible for our patients, which is proven by our consecutive Grade A Leapfrog Hospital Safety scores. In addition, Methodist Hospital not only received a Primary Stroke Center designation from The Joint Commission, but has also received a Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification from DNV GL Healthcare, designating the facility as offering the most advanced stroke treatment available in a given geographic area. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Hospital under Locations.
HCA Healthcare has been recognized as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® by the Ethisphere Institute more than ten times. In recent years, HCA Healthcare spent an estimated $3.7 billion in cost for the delivery of charitable care, uninsured discounts, and other uncompensated expenses.
"Bricks and mortar do not make a hospital. People do."- Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.
HCA Healthcare Co-Founder
If you are looking for an opportunity that provides satisfaction and personal growth, we encourage you to apply for our Pharmacy Technician Specialist PRN opening. We review all applications. Qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. Unlock the possibilities and apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status