Are you passionate about the patient experience? At Methodist Healthcare, we are committed to caring for patients with purpose and integrity. We care like family! Jump-start your career as a(an) Pharmacy Technician Compounding today with Methodist Hospital Metropolitan.
Methodist Hospital Metropolitan, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
- Comprehensive medical coverage that covers many common services at no cost or for a low copay. Plans include prescription drug and behavioral health coverage as well as telemedicine services and free AirMed medical transportation.
- Additional options for dental and vision benefits, life and disability coverage, flexible spending accounts, supplemental health protection plans (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity), auto and home insurance, identity theft protection, legal counseling, long-term care coverage, moving assistance, pet insurance and more.
- Fertility and family building benefits through Progyny
- Free counseling services and resources for emotional, physical and financial wellbeing
- Family support, including adoption assistance, child and elder care resources and consumer discounts
- 401(k) Plan with a 100% match on 3% to 9% of pay (based on years of service)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Retirement readiness and rollover services and preferred banking partnerships
- Education assistance (tuition, student loan, certification support, dependent scholarships)
- Colleague recognition program
- Time Away From Work Program (paid time off, paid family leave, long- and short-term disability coverage and leaves of absence)
Learn more about Employee Benefits
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
Come join our team as a(an) Pharmacy Technician Compounding. We care for our community! Just last year, HCA Healthcare and our colleagues donated $13.8 million dollars to charitable organizations. Apply Today!
Job Summary and Qualifications
As a Pharmacy Technician Compounding you will perform duties under the direct supervision of a pharmacist and assists in the processing, preparation, and dispensing of patient medication orders according to professional standards and practices. As a Pharmacy Technician II (Compounding) you will demonstrate skills in sterile compounding preparation which may include hazardous drug preparation (chemo certification training).
What you will do in this role:
- As a Pharmacy Technician Compounding you will accurately fill medication orders in the pharmacy. You will accurately and safely compound and label medications and parenteral admixtures. You will be responsible for compounding of Sterile Preparations, may include chemotherapy and total parenteral nutrition with demonstrated competencies. You will accurately perform required calculations. You will always utilize aseptic techniques in the preparation of parenteral compounding. You will be compliant with all USP 797 shift/daily/monthly requirements (i.e. Cleaning laminar airflow cabinets and biological safety cabinets, wearing personal protective equipment, etc.)
- You will always obtain a final check from the pharmacist before releasing any prepared parenteral compounds, before packaging any medication, or delivering any medication. You will process medication returns and restocking to the pharmacy. You will accurately package and prepare medications for dispensing as assigned. You will accurately transport medications and other pharmacy supplies in a timely manner to appropriate areas while maintaining proper storage and security of medications throughout the organization.
- You will perform daily ADC routines as assigned (i.e. restocks, outdates, discrepancy resolution, loading and unloading, etc.). You will replenish ADCs, emergency cart trays and floor stock accurately and in a timely manner. You will troubleshoot ADC issues; able to re-configure ADCs and perform build and set up functions. You will under direction, adjust medication min/max PAR levels. You will provide basic technical support for automated dispensing machines and other pharmacy computer systems.
- You will accurately perform routine manufacturing and prepackaging maintaining accurate and complete record logs. You will ensure that a pharmacist checks all work. You will perform receiving and check in of medication/supply orders. You will appropriately and timely notify the pharmacy inventory manager of products that need to be reordered, shortages, overages and damaged product. You will assist in management of drug supplies in a cost effective manner and identified opportunities to minimize waste.
- You will identify critical issues, prioritizes workload and communicate to appropriate personnel any issues in a timely manner. You will interact in person and by phone with hospital personnel in a polite and respectful manner.
- You will perform unit/area inspections as well as expiration date checking when scheduled and submit appropriate documentation when completed. You will prepare all work records needed for the day including USP 797 cleaning documentation, batch logs, census reports, outdate reports and unload reports. You will comply with ongoing process to monitor outdates as per department procedures.
What qualifications you will need:
- High School diploma or equivalent education
- Completion of a course sponsored by an ACPE provider which provides 40 hours of instruction and experience and meets Texas Board of Pharmacy requirements to compound sterile products. Training may be obtained through completion of a recognized course in an accredited College of Pharmacy or a course sponsored by an ACPE accredited provider.
- Hospital experience and one year minimum sterile compounding experience preferred.
- Current Registered Pharmacy Technician by the State Board of Pharmacy or Intern Certification with the Texas Board of Pharmacy
Methodist Hospital Metropolitan houses 370 bed. We house the largest emergency room in downtown San Antonio. Our women’s pavilion is the only freestanding, center city facility dedicated to the health of women and their newborn babies. We welcome nearly 3,000 newborns into the world each year. We are home to the Methodist Weight Loss Center. We have been designated an American Society for Metabolic Surgery Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence®.
Our hospital has been recognized by Modern Healthcare as a Best Place to Work in Healthcare. For the fifth consecutive year we are recognized as a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation. We are the first hospital in San Antonio to achieve Pathway to Excellence designation. Methodist Hospital Metropolitan has been recognized by Leapfrog for focus on safety and quality. We received a Grade A Hospital Safety Score for 8 consecutive rating periods. We are proud to be an Accredited Chest Pain Center by the American College of Cardiology and Primary Stroke Center by the Joint Commission. We were the premier Texas hospital to earn a Gold Seal of Approval for Sepsis Certification. Join our accredited team today.
"The great hospitals will always put the patient and the patient's family first, and the really great institutions will provide care with warmth, compassion, and dignity for the individual."- Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.
HCA Healthcare Co-Founder
If you are looking for an opportunity that provides satisfaction and personal growth, we encourage you to apply for our Pharmacy Technician Compounding opening. We promptly review all applications. Highly qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. Unlock the possibilities and apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.